Monday, November 15, 2010

The Band of Joy


I just got the latest Band of Joy album featuring Robert Plant on vocals. Robert Plant is a favorite of mine- you can't argue with led zep, not to mention the Plant/Krauss album from a couple years ago is absolutely astounding. I first heard the first track from this album on an independent ratio station while driving across Ohio a few weeks ago. I really liked the sound, so I bought the album... 3 weeks later I'm listening to it all the time. Its got a sound that I really enjoy- there is straight up rock, blues, and even some old time country feel in there. Its a hard line up to have a problem with on the album:
Patty Griffen, Buddy Miller, Darrell Scott, Byron House, and Marco Giovino. We have all heard these band members perform live or on albums with various soloists and bands (including Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss, and even with The Band).

The Band of Joy started in the 60's before Plant joined up with zep. There have been a number of lineups, and this album is the second album the band has put out. Some tracks from the band are also on SixtySix to Timbucktwo- if you have raided my library you probably gave it a listen and didn't think much of it- thats why I've been astounded by this album- really great stuff.

At any rate, I enjoy it and look forward to listening to it on a car trip up to the cities with you all in the near future!

cheers, Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment